Not all of us are fortunate enough to live by the sea or one of our five oceans, but all of us live close to a water source. What we do on a daily basis effects our water. If we all work together and do a little bit each day to help preserve and protect our bodies of water, everyone will benefit. June 8th is World Oceans Day so lets make our daily give count for water, marine life, oceans, seas, and coral reefs.
When you learn about the issues affecting the ocean, and there are many, don’t feel overwhelmed. Feel empowered. By adding one of these gives every week to your daily giving plan, you can create the change you want to see simply by taking a few small steps like these!
Daily Gives That Help Our Water and Ourselves
- Reduce the amount of fish you eat. We are not saying stop we are saying reduce. There is a sustainable way to fish and not deplete our oceans, seas and rivers, but we have to reduce our intake of marine life to get fisherman to regulate their fishing. Overfishing is one of the main issues faced by our water ways so eat less, but don’t cut it out all together. Daily Give – Forgo eating fish, shrimp, lobster, or any marine life today.
- Reduce plastic. This is another big huge problem in our oceans. It is also a great big problem for marine life. If we reduce our use of plastic on land, the oceans and waterways will be cleaner. Daily Give – Take a non-plastic bag to the grocery store and decline that straw in your drink.
- Petition the exploration for oil in our oceans. There are so many reasons why this should not continue, oil spills, harm to marine life, damage to the ocean floor, pollution, the list can go on. Daily Give – Sign one of many petitions on Change.org that will help stop deep sea oil exploration and drilling.
- Use biodegradable sun tan lotion. Yup, it will protect you from the sun and not hurt any of our waterways. Whether you are swimming in the sea, the ocean, a river or a local sink hole, they are all connected. It does not cost any more to use biodegradable sunscreen and it works just as well. Daily Give – Buy biodegradable sun screen – the water and your body will thank you.
- Research of our marine systems are important. Next time you are looking for an outing, think about going to your local aquarium and learn about our waterways. Check and see if the aquarium is researched focused and involved in national or international projects. This does not include Sea Worlds or Marine parks that capture and house marine life solely for our pleasure. Aquariums are a different, and most are research and education driven. They are fun places to visit and you will be thankful for the new knowledge. Daily Give – Visit your local aquarium.
Water makes up 73% of our planet. Protecting both the water, marine life and plants that call water home is critically important for our planet. What you do on land will effect our water so empoer yourself with daily gives that protect our planet and our water.
Want to add your daily planet gives to the 365give Global Impact Map? Your daily give will inspire others to start their daily give habit and make the planet a priority. Sign up for a free membership and start showing others how you are serving and giving to the planet.