I pick garbage frequently in my neighbourhood. For that matter, I pick up garbage just about every where I go. I pick it up when I travel (see Garbage Picking in Mexico ), along the street, down at the beach. My 3 year old son does it with me too. Today we have taken a different angle on this GIVE. 365give has created the top 10 reason why you should garbage pick. My son and I asked people as we walked through our neighbourhood today why they thought picking up garbage was a good idea. Here is our list of answerers.
Day 120: Give 120
1) A sense of community by helping to keep it clean.
2) Teaches your children to GIVE as they watch you do it.
3) Keeps toxins out of the planet.
4) If someone sees you doing it, they may be inspired to pick one day as well – adding to the goodwill in your community.
5) Saves the water ways from pollutants. (especially doggie waste)
6) A great way to get some exercise “walk and squat” – could be the newest in exercise trends!
7) Save’s dog owner’s arms from being pulled off as their dogs sniff out every bag, every tissue and every wrapper dropped o the ground.
8) Recycling the plastic picked instead of it going into landfills.
9) Clean parks, streets and beaches are safer for our children, from their feet to their hands. Garbage is not only dirty it can be sharp and dangerous,
10) Saves wild animals and fish from eating unnatural substances that destroy species.
***Most importantly. you will feel happy that you have GIVEN back. You gave to your community, your children, your planet and yourself.
Time Commitment: 30 minutes while on route through our daily routine – 2 full bags of garbage
Cost: 0. I used biodegradable bags I received from the grocery store.
***Please help me spread the word about 365give. If you like this post or any others please share it so together we can inspire people to give more in their lives. You can Tweet it, like it on Facebook or email it to your friends and family. Remember to subscribe to my daily GIVES from the main page so you can be inspired to GIVE every day.
Together we can change the world one day at a time.