8 Ways to Give on Valentine’s Day (They Include Chocolate)February 11, 2019
Pink Shirt Day – How Giving at School is Your Anti-Bullying CampaignFebruary 18, 2019
Giving to others is an incredible feeling. There are so many ways that we can give to others in this world. Sure you can spend money and make your give really easy, but there other things you can do that cost nothing and mean more. Giving from your heart and not your wallet, can be some of you best gives. Giving is not about money, but rather the thought that counts. These small bu important gestures are why giving has such an impact. A simple hug or a smile can mean more than a few dollars. A smile can go a mile in someone’s life and it is easy. You get the idea, right? Take that extra step and do an easy give and see how it changes someone’s day, creating happiness for both you and the person who receives your give.
Try Out These 10 Ways to Give to People
- Volunteer – One of the BEST ways you can give to people is by volunteering your time. My sons (ages 13 & 10) and I volunteered last weekend at a Winter Welcome Lunch that was hosted by a local church in our community. It was a wonderful time had by all, including the volunteers. It’s the little things for some that really are big things for others.
- Help an elderly neighbour – Take some time to go over to a senior’s home or give them a call. This contact means the world to an elderly person. Chatting, having a coffee, having someone check in and asking ‘how are you’ means the world to our seniors. If your neighbour is elderly, just sweep their walk, or bring in your garbage bins. I love to share food with an elderly friend and that takes nothing to do. Take a moment to just reach out to an elderly person today.
- Listen – It can be to a friend, a family member or a complete stranger. If you see that someone is having a bad day or just not themselves, take a moment to listen. You dont need to do anything, or solve their issues, just listen. One small gesture can feel like the world is a better place for that person who is going through a difficult time or having a bad day.
- Buy a stranger a coffee – The next time you’re in a coffee shop or a fast food restaurant, why not pay for the next person’s coffee? Trust me, this is a wonderful surprise for the person who learns their coffee is paid for. It’s a simple gesture, yet it can mean the world to someone.
- Bring a snack to a homeless person. This one makes me feel real good. I was at the grocery store the other day, and when I went inside I noticed there was a young gentleman sitting on the side of the parking lot with a sign mentioning that he was homeless and asking for help. I approached the young man and asked him if I could buy a coffee or tea. He said that he didn’t like coffee but asked if I wouldn’t mind getting him a hot chocolate. I was all over that, and bought him a sandwich as well. You can pack an extra snack when you go to work and give it to a person living on the street. I love this simple give as well. I dont put money in their cup but I do put small snacks.
- Send a nice email – It doesn’t have to be a long nor does it have to be sappy. Checking in on a client, a friend or a family member, just because is a great way to give. It’s awesome! Trust me.
- Take some time for yourself – Yup you can give to yourself. Go for a walk, take five minutes away from others, remember yourself as well when you give. Try something new or do something you have always wanted to do. Say something kind to yourself. This is a give and sometimes the best person to give to.
- Send a care package to someone who is sick – Send them their favourite hot beverage, a book, crossword puzzles, candy, a movie, anything that you think they will enjoy. It will put a smile on their face and will be a nice surprise when it arrives at their door. You have lots of things around the house that will make a great care package, no need to go shopping, just drop off what you do put together.
- Donate blood – Here’s a good one that people often overlook. The blood banks are always looking for blood donations. Go to your local blood bank and donate blood and feel good about doing this. And in line with this, is signing up to be an organ donor. Give the gift of life.
- Donate clothes – Go through your closets and give away any clothes that you haven’t worn in the last year. You can donate to a local women’s/men’s shelter, a charity shop, the Goodwill, or Salvation Army. Just think – what you’re not using and is sitting dormant in your closet, could be used by someone else who would be happy with it.
There are so many ways that you can give to people. This is a small list to get you started. Pick something that will make you feel good and get out there and do it.
Share your gives with people at 365give.ca. Using your free membership, list your daily personal gives and experiences. The more gives we share, the more gives will happen in the world. It will make the world a happier place. Be the change that you wish to see in the world! Don’t wait around for someone else to do it first.