4 Easy Ways to Make Your Summer Picnic a Planet GiveJuly 25, 2019
How to Use Your Mobile Phone To GiveAugust 1, 2019
Volunteers do not necessarily have the time; they just have the heart. They deeply understand that giving is important. Lorna Nimmons is a perfect example of this. As an audit partner with KPMG and mother of two young girls, Lorna could have easily decided to just stick to her routine and not volunteer. 365give is not her first volunteer position nor will it be her last. Since coming to Canada from Scotland, 20 years ago, Lorna has been passionate about being involved in her community and helping others. Lorna is a former Big Sister and joined the Board of Big Sisters in 2016 as she is a strong supporter of their mentoring objectives. She is using the 365give Challenge to teach her young girls to give as she knows giving is good for the heart.
Lorna is on our Board of Directors as our Treasurer. We could not have done our financial planning without her!
Featured Volunteer On Why Giving Is Important- Lorna Nimmons
- How did you become interested in 365give? – I was asked to participate by Jacqueline and Sareh – ladies I had got to know in our roles as West Van moms with kids of the same age! As I learned more about the organization I realized the power of our mission and the impact it would have on the next generation.
- Why did you want to volunteer at 365give? – I was happy to offer my financial skills and prior experience with not for profits to help get the start-up, up and running. Since then it’s growth and change in direction from just teaching kids to a global mission on giving has resonated so much with me. The world needs more of 365give.
- What have been your greatest rewards while volunteering at 365give? – Seeing the impact around the world – the stories shared both locally and globally. Spreading the importance of our mission and vision. Being able to spread the word as a member of the Board, help us get our charitable status and secure some funding. Getting my kids involved on a regular basis.
- Have you volunteered at other organizations? If so where? – I have volunteered at quite a few not for profits over the last 10 years. Both through my workplace charitable giving but also within my local community. I was a member of the Board of the North Shore Disability Resource Centre from 2011-2016 serving in various roles including treasurer and president. The NSDRC works to promote the opportunities and funding for those with disabilities in the North Shore and greater Vancouver. I am currently also on the Board of Big Sisters of B.C. and the Lower Mainland, helping mentor at risk girls in our community.
- What is your most inspiring give? – I can’t really think of one. I like when I do them together with my girls and I get to see their excitement at giving – whether its doing a beach or property clean up or cooking muffins for those at the homeless shelter or visiting the animal shelter and spending some time with their newest arrivals.
Volunteering Does Change The World
Have you been inspired to volunteer? Not sure where to start? All of our volunteers reached out to us and asked how they could help. They were inspired by our mission and we found ways to have them involved. Find an organization that inspires you and reach out to them. Set your own time commitment and see how you can change the world through a volunteer position. Once a month, four times a year, or once a week are all good time frames for a volunteer position. You decide and just do it!
Want to volunteer to 365give? Send us an email and let us know what interests you. We love to hear from people and will do our best to have you involved.