In North America our summer holiday season is quickly coming to end. Our family went on a number of holidays for which we feel very blessed. What we discovered is that no matter where you go or how you get there you can always find easy ways to give every day.
Giving is a common language all over the world. No matter where you travel to or what time of year giving back will connect you to the community you are visiting and spread the “good vibrations” every where you go.
This new video format is a great way to view how our family chooses to give everyday on vacation. Below is also the list of how we give back on vacation so you can take these ideas with you!
1) Rocks of Gratitude: Find heart shape rocks and paint or draw positive messages as a gift to a person you have met, your host or even the hotel you stay at on your travels.
2) Pick Up Garbage: There isn’t a place in the world that doesn’t have garbage that needs to be picked up. Dedicate just a few minutes to clean up the place you are visiting – it could be a park, a beach or local neighbourhood.
3) Bring A Reusable Water Bottle: Instead of buying water bottles everywhere you go bring a reusable bottle you can fill up. One less plastic bottle that clogs up our planet will make a world of difference. This one small give will have you covered every day!
4) Walk, Ride or Transit: The less time we drive cars the less pollution that goes into the air for us all. Dedicate at least one day of your holiday that you will walk, ride bikes or use public transportation. You will get to see things you would never see from the inside of a car and give back to our planet at the same time.
5) Support Locals: Whether you have traveled just a short distance or to another country find a way to support the locals. Leave the big chain stores behind and go local. Shop at local farmers markets, drop in to the local coffee house or restaurant, hire a local tour guide to show you around.
6) Carbon Off Set: If your travels take you by plane most airlines give you the opportunity to give by purchasing the equivalent Carbon off set. The David Suzuki Foundation ( https://davidsuzuki.org/what-you-can-do/carbon-offsets/) explains this so you know your offsets counts.
7) Educate and Embrace New Cultures: Everywhere we travel to in our world has a deep-rooted history. Take the time to learn about a new culture, understand their history and beliefs. You may or may not agree with them, but it will give you a greater perspective of how others live in our world. It will increase you compassion and understanding why we are all different and embrace those differences.
We all have one thing in common not matter where you live or visit. We are all humans living on one shared planet. Love where you live and travel to and make a positive impact every day.
We love hearing your stories. Share your giving ideas with us here – Sign up as a Member (it’s free!) and share your stories with the world.
We can all make a difference – 1 give, 1 day at a time – together.