This year World Food Day is on October 16, 2018. World Food Day is when the world comes together to fight global hunger. It’s a day for everyone to work together to find an end to the hunger crisis. On this day in particular, there are many things that we can give back to support World Food Day. There are many events that take place in over 150 countries in the world on this day to help promote awareness and action for those that are suffering from hunger, as well as to ensure that everyone has food and a proper diet on a daily basis.
1. Don’t waste food – freeze any leftover food or use the leftovers in a different meal. You could also ask for a box at a restaurant if you don’t want to eat everything that you have ordered. Don’t just allow the leftovers to go in the garbage. You might be able to get another meal or part of a meal with leftovers.
2. Farmers can produce more, with less – find different ways to farm food and diversify crops. With this farming approach, farmers will increase the amount of crops they produce, and their profits, and can also change or improve their farmland’s quality.
3. Have a more healthy and sustainable diet – make some nutritious meals that don’t involve a lot of ingredients. You can share your meals with friends, teammates, and in an online community and you can ask others to provide their nutritious meals to you as well. You can also ask a local farmer how they cook their produce at home.
4. Advocate for an end to hunger – share your views on social media, discover different opportunities in the fight to end hunger, share your knowledge and resources and find different events that are going on in your area to fight hunger.
5. Partner with food banks – you can work with food banks to package food for the hungry or less fortunate, or look for non-profit organizations in your community where you can help in the fight against hunger.
6. Volunteer with a local community garden – this is a great way to get outside, connect with others and help with the fight against hunger, where you are helping to grow locally grown produce to help those less fortunate.
7. Participate in a local event – whether you’re walking for hunger, volunteering at a soup kitchen or helping to pack food at a food bank, you are not only meeting new people, but you are making a difference in the world and in the lives of many people who are in need and you are promoting a nutritional diet when you are helping to feed others.
8. Share Hunger Stats on Social Media – Share a statistic about world hunger on your Facebook page, Twitter Feed or Instagram. Awareness is part of the solution.
There are so many ways that we can give to support World Food Day. Whether you do something to promote the fight against hunger on social media or you go out into the community to support a cause that fights hunger, you are making a difference in the world, one give at a time.
Please share your give on World Food Day using the #365give and #worldfoodday hashtags to support this worthy and very important cause. Lets work together to end hunger in the world. It’s a real problem today and we need to do something that helps in the fight to end hunger.