Creating happiness in the classroom is incredibly important for students every day of the school year. Research has consistently demonstrated that when students are in a positive and safe environment, they are more likely to:
- Learn Effectively
- Perform Better Academically
- Develop the essential skills they need to become successful adults.
- Be Motivated
- Be Engaged
- Be Enthusiastic
Creating a positive and happy learning environment in the classroom also contributes to a positive classroom climate which can result in improved:
- Social and emotional learning
- Enhanced relationships between students and teachers
- A greater sense of community
- Reduced bullying
Ultimately, creating a happy classroom provides a foundation for students to become successful in their academic, personal, and professional lives.
Ten Ways to Start a Happiness Practice in the Classroom Every Day
- Have students make a happiness journal. This allows students to express themselves in a positive manner. This could be done through activities such as having students write about a happy moment from the day or creating a positive affirmation wall.
- Create a safe, comfortable atmosphere by fostering an atmosphere of giving, compassion, and empathy. This can be practiced 365 days a year! We know it works – it’s what we do! Sign up for our school program today!
- Promote a sense of belonging by allowing each student to express their unique personality and opinions in the classroom.
- Encourage students to take ownership of their learning by allowing them to have a say in the topics they are studying and activities they are engaged in.
- Set achievable goals for the students and celebrate their successes when they achieve them.
- Take regular breaks throughout the day to allow students to get up and move around or take part in an activity such as a game or a brain break.
- Make learning fun by using creative activities and incorporating technology into the classroom.
- Provide opportunities for students to socialize with one another, such as group work or team-building exercises.
- Show appreciation for each student, both as an individual and as a group.
- Encourage students to think outside the box and challenge them to come up with creative solutions to problems.
Happy Children Change the World!
Fostering happiness in children can have an immense impact on the world. When children are taught to be kind, giving and express gratitude, they are more likely to carry these values into adulthood and pass them on to their own children. By showing our children how to be compassionate towards others and appreciate the world around us, we can create more understanding and acceptance of people from different backgrounds and cultures. Additionally, when children are taught to be happy and take care of their own mental health, it can lead to decreased levels of stress and anxiety, which can have positive effects on their physical and emotional well-being. Ultimately, when children are happy, they are better equipped to make positive contributions to their communities and to the world.
Need ideas to give every day for 2023? Sign up here and we will deliver a daily giving idea into your inbox 365 days of the year! It’s time to choose happiness every day of the year.