Chinese New Year, also known as Lunar New Year or Spring Festival, is the most important festival in China and a major event in some other East Asian countries. There are many ways to honour Chinese New Year during this annual celebration.
This festival celebrates the beginning of a new year on the traditional Chinese lunisolar calendar. It was traditionally a time to honour deities and ancestors, and it has also become a time to feast and visit family members.
The Year of the Rabbit
Each Chinese year is associated with an animal sign according to the Chinese zodiac cycle. 2023 is the year of the Rabbit, specifically, Water Rabbit. The sign of Rabbit is a symbol of longevity, peace, and prosperity in Chinese culture. 2023 is predicted to be a year of hope.
Here are some ways to honour the 15 days of Chinese New Year:
- Make a donation to a local charity or organization that works to support the Chinese community in your area.
- Spread awareness of the Chinese culture through online posts, stories, and videos.
- Reach out to a local Chinese restaurant or business and offer to donate your time in helping them out.
- Organize a fun event in your local community that celebrates the culture and traditions of Chinese New Year.
- Support Chinese artists and musicians by purchasing their work.
- Host a dinner with friends and family and share the story of Chinese New Year.
- Create a special Chinese New Year themed gift basket and give it to a family in need.
- Take part in a local parade or event celebrating Chinese New Year.
- Hold a movie night and watch a classic Chinese film.
- Cook a traditional Chinese dish and share the recipe with friends and family.
- Share stories about Lunar New Year with your children and grandchildren.
- Take a trip to a local Chinese cultural center and learn more about the culture.
- Offer to volunteer at a local event that celebrates the Lunar New Year.
- Buy tickets to a local cultural performance and support the Chinese community.
- Learn a few simple words in Chinese and practice them with your family and friends.
By engaging in these activities, you can create a positive impact in your local community and honour the 15 day celebration of Chinese New Year and help to celebrate this important cultural event. Many websites are dedicated to sharing the history, significance, and ways to celebrate.
Here are a couple of examples:
Join 365give and receive inspiration right to your inbox every day, read our blog, or take the 365give challenge and start your giving journey today.