In Ontario, we celebrate Family Day in February, but I truly believe that every day should be a day to celebrate family. Whether it is friends that are close enough to be considered family, or whether it is your own flesh and blood, family are the people who support you through the tough times and celebrate with you during the good times. It is important that we make the time to give to families (whether they’re our own families or those of other people).
Families that Give Together, Grow Together
Growing up, I was fortunate enough to come from a family that spent a lot of their time giving back. It is a true bonding experience to get together with your family and do something nice for another family. I believe that this could be something as simple as taking the time to get together with another family and go to the park, or hosting a family barbecue with extended family, neighbours, or friends in order to show your appreciation for them.
However, if you want to take it one step further, here are a few of the things that I did with my family as a way to give back to the community.
- Volunteer together at a local homeless shelter, food bank, or soup kitchen. Not only will this experience humble every member of your family, but it will also be a bonding family that serves a dual purpose of helping other families in need.
- Call your local animal shelter and see if there are any dogs that can be taken for a walk by you and your family. This is a great way to spend time with your family while simultaneously helping your furry family. Who knows, you might even fall in love and end up taking one home!
- Organize a local sports league! This way kids can get together and play and exercise, families can spend time together and with each other.
- Bake or cook for a local family in need. The baking or cooking is a great time for your family to spend together, and the end result is a meal for someone who needs it.
- Participate in a run for a cause! The cause can be anything, there are plenty of great opportunities to do a race for a charitable cause, whether it’s cancer research, animal rights, or cardiovascular health research.
- Donate money to a children’s hospital or foundation. This is a great way to give in a way that supports families who are going through a hard time. A great place to donate to is the Ronald McDonald House, which allows families with sick children to spend time together outside of a hospital room.
These are a few ways that families can come together to support other local families on International Family Day!
For more ways that you can give to support families and friends, sign up for a free 365give membership today!