Looking for some planet gives for Earth Hour? On Saturday, March 28th, millions of people around the world will turn off their lights at 8:30 to spend an hour by moonlight, candlelight or flashlight, showing their commitment to fighting climate change and talking about the many ways we can protect the planet.
But what happens when the candles are blown out, and the lights go back on? Don’t let the environmentally charged conversations end there. Start thinking about what you can do at home, at work and in your community to contribute to this global sustainability movement all year round. Your Planet Give for Earth Hour can continue all year long.
Even the smallest actions add up, and simple changes to the way you live can make a big difference for the environment. Start planning your daily planet gives to honor Earth Hour and inspire environmental action in your everyday life.
Planet Gives from the Comfort of Your Home
- Switch the lights off when you leave the room
- Upgrade to energy-efficient kitchen appliances
- Unplug electronics when you’re not using them
- Change outdated light bulbs to energy-efficient ones
- Wash clothes in cold water instead of hot
- Install a programmable thermostat
- Ensure your home is adequately insulated to keep cool air or warm air in
- Put on an extra layer, or take one off to warm-up or cool-off without electricity
Planet Gives For The Workplace
- Work Remotely If You Can – More and more workplaces are realizing the many benefits that come from working from home, and from a climate perspective this is a very good thing because much of our fossil fuel use comes from simply commuting to and from work
- Switch Up Your Commute – If you can’t get out of going to your workplace, then commute efficiently by carpooling, taking public transportation, or riding your bike which can significantly reduce greenhouse gas emissions
- Hold Online Meetings – You can also reduce your workplace carbon footprint by scheduling video conference calls instead of driving to meetings and engaging in online seminars rather than travelling to them
- Buy Smart Office Supplies – Choose nature-friendly products such as paper from recycled or sustainable sources, select ones featuring the FSC logo to be confident you’re not harming the world’s forests
Make Your Planet Gives As A Volunteer
- Plant Trees – Give back to the planet, and all its citizens by taking part in tree planting programs that work towards reforestation, carbon offsetting and greening our communities
- Join A Community Clean Up Crew – Volunteer for a cleanup or restoration project in your area and commit to cleaning up an area that really matters to you like your local green space or beloved beach
- Community Gardens Rock! – A community garden can be a great way to not only give back to the planet by encouraging locally grown, sustainable, plant-based eating, but it’s also a great way to bring the community together and teach kids where food comes from
Wherever you begin your planet gives, remember, our voices are powerful. So, use yours in your family, your workplace and your community to call for planet-friendly choices. Request locally sourced materials at your workplace, suggest more plant-based meals at home or write to your community supermarkets and retailers to ask for zero-waste, package-free products. Every decision and every give really does add up.
Once you start incorporating these planet gives into your daily giving routine, start spreading the word. Share your planet gives on social media and tell the world how you are taking action – your daily planet gives might inspire others to follow your lead. Together we can make a difference to fight climate change and protect our earth. Sign up for your free 365 membership and start giving daily to change the world.